Monday 6 September 2021

My First Steps in Open Source

Hello World,

    My name is Eugene and this is my first blog post about things related to Open Source and the course OSD600 at Seneca college, which is all about Open Source projects.  The reason I am taking this course is because I mostly hit a wall in terms of contributing and starting open source projects.  I just not sure where to begin or how to approach large projects with millions of lines of code.  Sadly, many schools don't teach open source until upper year but hopefully in the future even high school students can get involved with open source technology.  

    I see software development as a growing and ever evolving trend even with powerful language models like GPT-3 which can automatically code for you based on natural language processing, I see this field as ever needed and in higher demand than ever.  Yes I got early access because I participated in a Hackathon by OpenAI. As you might have noticed, I am a machine learning enthusiast and trying to break some ground in the open source scene.  What is great about programming and all things open source is that there is no age restriction or major adverse risk as long as you are willing to code and dive into coding.  

    Due to the pandemic I am situated at home in Toronto, Ontario for many months now.  Also due to the pandemic I figured I get my computer programming two year college diploma first in case my situation changes and apply for co-op and see if I can get in CPAC (which I did).  My number one course I wanted to take for the advanced diploma CPAC is open source development OSD600.  I am hoping to get more comfortable with using git and being faster and more accurate at pushing code to Github.  I am keen on collaborating with other students in the course on various interesting open source projects. Besides machine learning, I wanted look into contributing to the Linux community, virgin open source projects as well as game development code. 

   The trending repository I chosen is the https://github.com/ycechungAI/nft-art-generator, which generates a piece of art work based on traits from given samples of artwork.  I feel we are at the point where non-coders are able leverage technologies like these to make interesting designs and art.  I believe there is an equality among art and science, where one should not over take another and this is the perfect example of merging of two realms.

Cheers,

Eugene Chung

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I learned from Project 1 of Udacity's Data Science with Python bootcamp

Introduction As part of the project I completed successfully, I used SQL to explore a database related to movie rentals. SQL queries was ran...