Thursday 28 October 2021

Lab 6 - Working with Docusauraus

 What is Docusaurus?

It is a website builder tool built by Facebook to allow a user to quickly push documentation and a blog to a website even if you are starting to learn web development.  Moreover, it is powered by markdown, built on React front-end with features like translations, document-versioning, and content search.  It helps developers ease the transition of purely coding to more documentation for the app or website they are building without doing the heavy lifting of building infrastructure.

Installation

The Docusaurus installation and setup was quite simple by running 

    npm init docusaurus@latest [name] [template]

A piece of advice I can give is use yarn to build and install and look at the errors in vs code if you have an issue.  I use the --classic option as recommended and it turned out great.  I did play around and added my own content to see how easy it is to modify the document.  Here is my site published and running on Github.

The blogging feature was interesting and I could have used it over blogger, dev.to and etc.  Here is an example on the same website.

Copying a Feature

I decided to upgrade my markdown feature to use markdown-it instead which will save me a lot of time coding.  I filed an issue #40 and began quickly prototyping an implementation.  I made sure it works and will refactor and file issues as time progresses.

With the new feature, it now translates all relevant markdown into proper html.  Before I have header, italics and adding individual markdown features, now I have it all with one library added.  Next steps will be to add other file types such as CHM, RDF, MAN-pages, XML and etc.  I filed issues for RDF and MAN-pages first to start.  To get people involved, I will add a comment to accept pull request and look for opportunities such as Hacktoberfest to add the project there.


Thanks for Reading.

Cheers,  

Eugene Chung


No comments:

Post a Comment

What I learned from Project 1 of Udacity's Data Science with Python bootcamp

Introduction As part of the project I completed successfully, I used SQL to explore a database related to movie rentals. SQL queries was ran...