Monday 15 November 2021

Lab 8 - Jest Enough

Step 1: Choosing Jest

Last week was rough and I had to fix code before doing Lab 8.  Basically, we are implementing Automated Testing to our existing ssg  I chose to use Jest because I am using Node.js as my main language.  I feel like this week I was completely burnt out and needed a few days to rest.

I use npm install to install jest and added the following two lines to package.json


Step 2: First Tests

My first set of tests involve file checking, whether a path is a file, folder and nothing related to the files I needed, which are ".md" and ".txt".

STEP 3: Test the Core of SSG

My next set of tests involve whether I utilized the correct input files.

Running my tests yielded the following results on Jest.


Step 4: Updating Documentation

I updated the CONTRIBUTION.md file

Step 6: Merging to Master

Conclusion

I learnt that writing test for existing code that does not have tests is much harder than writing tests from the start.  I feel like I have to refactor some of my code in order for my tests to run.  I believe the benefit of this open-source class and community is that you can ask questions and help each other out during harder labs and releases.  I have done testing before, but not with Jest, so it was a good experience.

My pull request

Live to code another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I learned from Project 1 of Udacity's Data Science with Python bootcamp

Introduction As part of the project I completed successfully, I used SQL to explore a database related to movie rentals. SQL queries was ran...