Thursday 18 November 2021

Release 3.0 - Review Pull Request

 Pull Request Review #1

At the point of reviewing this pull request, I was very new to Github CI, so I had to rely on the knowledge of others to help me.  At first I tried to use Docker and act-cli API to try to emulate what CI does in Github. This proves to be the more difficult route, so I was advised to test with the developer, Tracy.

The issue is to fix #13, creating Github Actions workflow for deployment.  I learned about secrets and different uses of environment variables as well as coding in CI.  After back and forth conversation with Duke, Tracy and Humphd, I get a sense that this is what Github colaboration is all about even though we are remotely situated.

I had Tracy demo her code for me on November 9th and produced the following screenshot.

issue-13_working_ycechung_Tracy

The code was eventualy deployed on vercel, but it might not be pushed at the end of release 0.3.

This also coordinates with my issue of building an index after the site is built.  I created an issue for this as #70.  This is part of development, not everything gets done in one issue and pull request.  It requires many revisions and linking to other issues if necessary.  I had a chance to actually review someone's code, which is exciting.


Pull Request Review #2:

The review for this pull request is straight forward.  Since I already am working and testing on the code base, I need to checkout his version of the code and make sure it does what it is required.  He made two changes which are adding a weekly schedule in Contents in docs/intro.md and adding a hyperlink of Weekly Schedule at the footer in docusaurus.config.js.  These are front-end changes that can be tested visually.  It was merged to repository on November 10, 2021. [4f58857]

Not all pull request end this nicely.  It is good to see two sides or perspectives to how code review can occur.

Conclusion to Release 0.3

Having worked on two pull requests and two code reviews, I feel like it was just the beginning of what it means to be an open source developer.  I look forward to release 0.4.

Eugene Chung

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I learned from Project 1 of Udacity's Data Science with Python bootcamp

Introduction As part of the project I completed successfully, I used SQL to explore a database related to movie rentals. SQL queries was ran...